Your first thought as you look at this article will be, “I’ll read this later.”
But don’t. Let the urge to switch to a new task pass. Read this now.
It’ll take you two minutes. It’ll save you countless hours.
I’ve written the book on ending procrastination, but I’ve since come up with a very simple technique for beating everyone’s favorite nemesis. It is incredibly easy, but as with anything, it takes a little practice.
Try it now:
Identify the most important thing you have to do today.
Decide to do just the first little part of it — just the first minute, or even 30 seconds of it. Getting started is the only thing in the world that matters.
Clear away distractions. Turn everything off. Close all programs. There should just be you, and your task.
Sit there, and focus on getting started. Not doing the whole task, just starting.
Pay attention to your mind, as it starts to have urges to switch to another task. You will have urges to check email or Facebook or Twitter or your favorite website. You will want to play a game or make a call or do another task. Notice these urges.
But don’t move. Notice the urges, but sit still, and let them pass. Urges build up in intensity, then pass, like a wave. Let each one pass.
Notice also your mind trying to justify not doing the task. Also let these self-rationalizing thoughts pass.
Now just take one small action to get started. As tiny a step as possible.
Get started, and the rest will flow.
- liltful likes this
- coalescinglove likes this
- leiamctrusty likes this
- misbehave likes this
- dani-darko reblogged this from elbesoie
- wheatsglide reblogged this from elbesoie
- wheatsglide likes this
- sir-rae likes this
- zombiebaby80 likes this
- to-lazy-to-create-a-name reblogged this from elbesoie
- kingofaverage reblogged this from elbesoie
- newbooksmell likes this
- we-are-all-stories-inthe-end likes this
- keepin-golden likes this
- thesuperhooper likes this
- y0ur-imp3rfect-pre5ence reblogged this from elbesoie
- precioushorrors likes this
- midnightraspberries likes this
- haejinah likes this
- corvos reblogged this from elbesoie
- thinknothingoffalling likes this
- mmmusing likes this
- alluringg likes this
- iamthemockwardturtle reblogged this from elbesoie
- porpoised reblogged this from elbesoie
- keuhkoja likes this
- rumblinmytumbl likes this
- the-midnight-runner likes this
- jinsil97 likes this
- jay-gatsbys likes this
- diet-cokeaine likes this
- mojitos-in-mason-jars likes this
- mocdartens likes this
- atticgirl likes this
- elbesoie posted this